Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Red or Green - take 3


 Another skew sign...(or rather, the photo is skew, not the sign)

Del Charro, located in Inn of the Governors, was our last lunch in Santa Fe. As mentioned on the previous post, 2 different locals suggested that we go there for lunch and the local score was 2 out of 2. (1. Tia Sophia, 2. Del Charro).

Del Charro is a saloon with a great big welcoming bar and an outside patio with a fireplace. We walked past the place (before we got the recommendations) and I thought, "This would be a cool place to come to for a drink", and the idea of having a meal there didn't cross my mind, but luckily those lovely locals told us how yummy the food was (and how extremely well-priced the menu was - nothing was over $9 or $10.)


The Bar at Del Charro

I love me some buffalo wings. This is not something that is very big in South Africa, people enjoy it, and you can find it at a few places, but my true love affair with buffalo wings and blue cheese dressing started when I worked at a ski resort in Winter Park, CO, just after I finished university. The staff all went to a dive bar on Wednesday-Wing-nights (if I remember correctly), where they served wings at 10cents each. That was so cheap, even us sorry underpaid hotel folks could go and pig out on the yummy wings. (off course they more than made up that money with the copious amounts of alcohol that we consumed with the wings, so it was a win-win deal).



Del Charro from the outside

Now the whole reason for my "trip-down-buffalo-wing-memory-lane" is the following: I had the BEST wings EVER!!! at Del Charro. They were not Buffalo Wings. Instead, they were Chipotle Wings - Yum yum. (Chipotle is a smoke-dried jalapeno chili). The wings were served with ranch dressing (very American) and even though I usually prefer to eat my wings with blue cheese, I didn't miss the blue cheese at all on this occasion, because the wings were awesome. In fact, they were so awesome that I asked the chef for the recipe, which he gave to me and no, I will not share it with anyone - I made a promise. (if you want the recipe, you'll just have to go eat there and earn the right to ask them yourself).

The rest of the food, was also great. I had the salmon wrap served with a red pepper coulis, creme fraiche and cucumber relish and my hubby had the chef's burger with guacamole and bacon . Both excellent dishes and extremely well priced.

We will go back to Santa Fe, NM one day, and when we do, we will definitely go back to Del Charro, Cafe Pasqual and Tia Sophia!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds great! Spicey foods combat the cold effect up here in northern New England.

    ReplyDelete