Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Food Glorious Food!


South Africa has great food. Not just yummy, fresh and interesting, but loads of different types of cuisine, chic world-class restaurants and gorgeous venues. My trip to SA each year turns into a true Culinary Expedition, because  not only do I go to discover new eateries, but I also have a few restaurants on my list of places that I have to visit, and yes, included on that list are a few chain restaurants that a true food-snob would be put off by, but I don't care, since I'm a self-proclaimed food-lovin' foodie, not a food-snob!


My food highlights of this trip were:

Bread and Wine, Moreson Wine farm, Franschoek: It has been a favourite for a long time, but I have been there in a few years and I must say, the food is fantastic. The service was a bit dodgy in the beginning, but after about 15 minutes things turned around and we had not just amazing food, but a great experience too. (sitting outside underneath the beautiful big trees was pretty cool too) My favourites were: Starters: Cape Malay Lamb Pizza as well as the Fontina Gnocchi, Mains: Pork Belly with Avocado and the Karoo Lamb with Boulangere Potatoes. (yes, we taste each other's food).


Cafe Orca, Melkbosstrand: This was my first visit to Cafe Orca and it was worth the drive to Melkbos. We ordered the Seafood Platters for a main course and the seafood was so fresh and tasty and the fact that we were looking right at the ocean while we were eating, just made it even better. Take note: they don't take lunch reservations, so make sure you get there really early to get a seat with a great view.

Cafe Orca

Cattle Baron, Canal Walk Mall: Yes, I know what you think...it's a chain! Believe me, we went to a few of the best and most expensive steak places in SA (for example, Belthazar in the V & A Waterfront, French Connection in Franschoek and The Butcher Shop in Sandton) and their steaks were not as good as the Chateaubriand at the Cattle Baron. It is one of my favourite dishes of our trip.


Fairview Wine and Cheese farm, Paarl: One of my favourites with a huge seating area outside (I love to sit outside and eat - you don't get to do that very often in Colorado). The Spiceroute Sauvignon Blanc did not disappoint and neither did the Cheese and Cold Meats Selection, Lightly Curried Chicken Pie or the Duck with Coconut and Citrus Risotto. In fact, I had such great meals there, I went back 3 more times for lunch.

Fairview Chicken Pie

Magica Roma, Pinelands: One of my favourites in Cape Town and practically an institution. This time we took some friends and I can say with great happiness that we did get some magic aromas from the kitchen and the place did not disappoint. Great people, great service and great food! My favourite:  too difficult to say...


 Cafe Paradiso, Cape Town: About 10 or more years ago, we went to Cafe Paradiso a lot and then for a few years the place went down a bit, but luckily it was bought by the Madame Zingara-peeps and they made it fabulous again. We sat outsite, with a great view of Table Mountain and just enjoyed the fantastic food. The Surf and Turf (Lamb chops and Prawns) as well as the Tuna (don't be shy to ask for it to be cooked medium-rare), were just amazing.


The Biscuit Mill, Woodstock: This is a market that is open on Saturdays and is just fantastic. You can buy loads of different food products such as fresh produce, cheeses, pastries etc. Then you also get the back section where they set up a few tables and you can buy the yummiest variation of foods such as Gourmet Pizzas, Dutch Bitterballen, Vlamkuchen, Eggs Benedict Rosti (salmon or bacon), Sirloin Sandwiches, Falaffels etc. Go early, because it fills up really quickly. What an asset for Cape Town! 


Food stands at The Biscuit Mill in Woodstock, Cape Town

Now, shocking as this might seem - and I have admitted in the past that I am one of those weird people who take photos of their food - I didn't take many food photos this vacation. Not good, I know. I'll make that my mission next time!  

SA, your food did not disappoint.

1 comment:

  1. I've never been to South Africa, and I am very unfamiliar with the cuisine there, but this sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete