Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Antwerp - throw that hand...Brabo!



The first time I went to Antwerp was with my friend Jip-and-Janneke and her dad. I was visiting them in The Netherlands and they thought that I just had to see it. They were right. It is a beautiful city and even on a cloudy/rainy grey day, I couldn't help but notice its beauty.  

The next time I went there the weather was fabulous - it was a sunny spring day and the city was livelier and buzzier than before and if possible...even more beautiful.



City Hall with Brabo in front of it (on the left)


I love the Grote Markt (square) with the guilded houses that surround it.  You can find loads of restaurants and open air cafes, a beautiful church and the stunning city hall on the square as well as the fountain with the statue of Brabo, which is the legendary symbol of the city. (according to the legend, a giant called Druon Antigoon charged the people who crossed the bridge over the Scheldt river and if they couldn't pay, he would cut off there hand and throw it into the river. Brabo killed the giant, cut off his hand and threw it into the river too. This is where the name Antwerpen comes from - it means "hand throw/ to throw the hand").

I've had the best Belgian waffle in my life at a cafe on the square - I start craving that waffle whenever I hear the name Antwerp. Yummm

Great city - loads to do and see and just all in all - a great place to visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment